Thursday 24 September 2009

He Says – The city that wasn’t and the end of days.

22-24 September 09

Spending only one night in Tiznit, we decided that we maybe able to rescues a few days and by heading back inland we maybe able to see some rock carvings. We got about120km in to the ride when my speedo cable snapped. I pulled it off the bike and hoped that welding or soldering the two bits together would fix it. We went to the local mechanic and explained what we wanted.

He was unconvinced, but tried any way. He was a nice old guy that was impressed with his first attempt, as was I but upon trying it. It failed. He tried again with little more success, although this time rerouting the cable. At the end we gave up, I asked him how much and he said nothing because it did not work. Wow if only all mechanics were that way. I said no we will pay you, you tried hard. The first Moroccan that knows the value of good work. 50 durhams later, and we decided to set off as he asked us to stay for food. We politely refused, as I needed to think about what to do. Besides my stomach was not a happy thing.

We went to café drank a coke for medicinal purposes (Tam ha a fanta cus she likes it) and decided at lest for now just to use the GPS as the speedo and tacho. We road hard and made it to Tan-tan.

Tan-tan was the city that was not, we road in. We went directly to a hotel that was suggested to us by the HUBB and GPS and was nice and had parking. We parked the bike went to the room, relaxed for an hour or so. I dragged my sorry ass off the bed and went to get a pizza. Inside the pizza place the flies buzzing all around were actual flies, and it was a pleasant change. After all you are allowed, even encouraged to kill them!

The pizza was okay, my belly was not happy. I barely got back to the hotel. Only then did we realise that we left the medical bag (with the anti-diarrhoea meds) on the bike in the locked garage and the key was way at the moment (moment being all night). By morning I was very sick, I was unable to sleep. Luckily we were finally able to get the drugs but they did not seem to be working. Tam went out and bought me different drugs. I spent the day watching TV and polluting the local water supply. The hotel got satellite TV that had one channel that played English movies all day long. I saw nothing of that town. Tan –Tan was also our last stop in Morocco the rest is Western Sahara.

Two days later on the way our out of Tan-Tan we road to a round-a-bout with a stop sign, and as I sat there stopped, trying to figure out which way to go we were almost rear ended by a Mercedes. 5 metres later as I pulled out of the round-a-bout I was pulled over for failure to stop at a stop sign. Before I could argue he point out the sign in question and sure enough I did not stop. Hey I did not even see it. I said as much to him apologised but got a 100dh ticket. Bugger but it was a fair bust and they where friendly enough about it.